About National Youth Day
National youth day is celebrated on january 12 every year being the birthday of swami vivekananda. The Government of India declared this day as national youth day in 1985. Since 1985, this day is celebrated every year in India in the memory of swami vivekananda.
History behind National Youth Day
It was the decision of the government of india to commemorate this day as national youth day on swami vivekananda’s birthday. The government believes that his ideology and philosophy as he lived with such a path of good direction will be a great inspiration for the youth generation.
On january 12,2013, the former prime minister spoke at the address mentioned to celebrate Swami Vivekananda’s 150 birth anniversary. Swami Vivekananada followed the path of truth in his whole life. It is a day for the country to create awareness amongst the people of India and let them know about the rights in the country.
He is a straightforward personality with eternal energy and the logic of ideal fact will be a great inspiration for the youth generation. That is the reason why the government has announced to celebrate this day being on his birthday.
Importance of the day
This day is used to generate the positive attitude towards the people and provide them with the knowledge of how to behave in a democratic country. For the nation this day is very important because the great legend of india swami vivekananda, saw a dream of hope for the future in every child and believed that with the “muscle of iron” and “nerves of steel” can change the point of view of society for seeing the world.
The power of youth is the commonwealth for the entire world. The young generation are the source of our past, our present and our future. No one in the society can match with the power, idealism, enthusiasm and courage of the young people.
This day is also known as yuva divas. It is celebrated across the country with pomp and joyness to increase the self confidence of the youth generation. As we all know that swamiji is a social reformer, thinker,and philosopher, and ofcourse a very good idealogic.
Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India celebrated the national youth day in 2017 with the theme of digital india. This ceremony was held in rohtak, haryana, where prime minister of narendra modi addressed the youth across the country who had come to participate in rohtak through video conferencing.
Celebrations or activity for national youth day ;-
- The day is celebrated at schools, colleges and government organised offices.
- On this day, many activities were organised ie. parade, music, speeches, seminars, youth conventions etc are organised on january 12 as national youth day.
- Yoga, lessons, tasks, presentation, competitions in essay-writing and sports are also a part of national youth day.
- On every 12th January,Lectures and writings of Swami Vivekananda are remembered to motivate the youth in contributing for a better India.
- On this day, a unique theme will also be organised.
- National Youth Day is also celebrated with great joy and enthusiasm at many centres of the Ramakrishna Math, and Ramakrishna Mission.
- A mangal aarti, devotional songs, meditation, religious speech as well as the sandhya aarti is performed on this day at the Math. The day is also observed by various NGOs.
The theme of national youth day is to promote the youth power to build a great nation with enthusiasm, idealism, and courage as swami vivekananda followed the path of truth. India is a country where the majority of the population is young.
It aims to inspire the youth generations and educate them to behave properly in society.It becomes very important to use the potential of youth in making the country better. The theme is about channelizing the power of youth for nation-building.
The Government of India wants the youth population of Indian to contribute to the progress of the country. And can represent yourself for the great india and can bring a huge change in society.
Motivation quotes of swami vivekananda for the youngers ;-
- Take risks in your life. If you win : you may lead, and if you lose, you may guide.
- Arise ! Awake ! and stop not until the goal is reached.
- If the mind is intentionally eager, everything can be accomplished – even mountains can crumble into atoms.
- You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you. None can make you spiritual . there is no other teacher but your own soul.
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
- Never be weak, you must be strong; You have infinite strength within you.
- You are the creator of your own destiny.
- Believe in yourself and the world will be at your feet.
- Talk to yourself once in a day, otherwise you may miss the meeting with an excellent person in the world.
National youth day is helping tools used to share the ideology, enthusiasm and courage for building a great nation. Hence, we are celebrating this year to commemorate Swami Vivekananda in our memory with respect to him as his birth anniversary.